|© Can Stock Photo / roxanabalint|
This is one of my all time favorite recipes.
I'm not a big fan of frozen dinners, but back when I was in high school my mother used to buy Stouffer's Chicken Divan, and it was awesome. I don't know if they still make it or not, but I've tweaked a couple of Campbell's Soup recipes to come up with my own version, and I think it comes pretty close. It's easy to prepare, and tasty. Best of all, it uses ingredients that most of us probably already have.
(inspired by Campbell's Soup recipes)
• 2 or 3 boneless chicken breasts
• 2 cans cream of mushroom soup*
• 1/2 cup milk
• 3 tablespoons butter (divided and melted)
• 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
• 1 cup fresh or frozen broccoli (thawed)
• 2 cups cooked noodles
• 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese or cheddar cheese blend
• 1 small can fresh mushrooms (optional)
• 2 to 3 tablespoons bread crumbs
Chop broccoli, (if using fresh), and prepare noodles according to the package directions. Clean chicken breasts thoroughly and cut into small cubes. Saute in a skillet until cooked all the way through. Remove from heat.
In a 2-quart casserole dish stir milk, 2 tablespoons melted butter and cream of mushroom soup. Add pepper and canned mushrooms, if desired. Add broccoli, cooked noodles and cooked chicken, mix well. Melt remaining tablespoon of butter in a small bowl, add breadcrumbs and mix until breadcrumbs are moistened. Top chicken mixture with generous layer of grated cheddar cheese and breadcrumbs. Bake in 350F oven for 35 to 40 minutes, or until top layer is brown and sauce is bubbling.
* One can of cream and mushroom soup, and one can of cream of chicken soup can also be used.