|© Can Stock Photo / cozyta|
This is one of my all time favorite recipes. I created it with love and a lot of trial and error as a tasty alternative for those with milk allergies or who may be lactose intolerant. It's sort of a cross between New England and Manhattan style chowder, and I added some Italian seasonings to give it a little extra zing. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do.
MEDITERRANEAN STYLE CLAM CHOWDER
• 1 medium onion, chopped
• 1 tablespoon minced garlic or garlic powder
• 1 tablespoon cooking oil or olive oil
• 2 cups water
• 2 to 3 small potatoes, peeled and diced into small cubes
• 1 teaspoon salt (optional)
• 1/4 teaspoon pepper
• 1 can diced, peeled tomatoes (14.5 ounce)
• 2 cans baby clams (10 ounce)
• 1/2 teaspoon basil, bay leaves and Italian seasoning
• 1 tablespoon Wondra flour or cornstarch
Chop onion and place in small stockpot with cooking oil. Add minced garlic, (if desired). Saute until the onions are soft and the garlic turns light brown. Add water, diced potatoes, salt (if desired), and pepper. Bring to boil, cover, reduce heat, and simmer on low for 10 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes. Strain clam juice into a small container and add clams to the soup mixture. Add Wondra flour or cornstarch to the clam juice and stir until all flour is dissolved and juice mixture is free of lumps. Add juice to soup mixture and stir thoroughly. Add garlic powder, (if not using minced garlic), basil, bay leaves, and Italian seasoning. Stir and bring soup back to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer on low for an additional ten minutes. Serve.